The history of Assumption High School began in 1954 when the Most Reverend John A. Floersh, Archbishop of Louisville, asked the Sisters of Mercy to establish a new high school at the corner of Bardstown Road and Tyler Lane. It was a challenge for the Sisters to answer this educational call. Lack of funds was a primary concern then, as it remains today. Nevertheless, the Sisters proceeded in faith, and ground breaking took place on August 1, 1954. The cornerstone laying was October 17 of the same year, the Marian Year.
The first day of school was held on September 6, 1955. In that first year, the student body consisted of 103 freshmen and 50 sophomores. The first principal was Sr. Mary Prisca Pfeffer, and the faculty consisted of five Sisters of Mercy. Another sister served as the cook and was the only staff member. For three years, the sisters lived on the third floor of the school until there were finally enough funds to build a separate convent.
Assumption graduated its first class in 1958.
In 1989, ground was broken for the first addition to the school building, a 2800 sq. ft. extension which includes the Boeckmann Computer Lab. In 1995, an 11,300 sq. ft. Arts and Sciences Center, including state of the art science labs and art and music facilities, was added. The McAuley Center was opened in 1998 after the Sisters of Mercy living at Assumption generously gave the original convent to the school and opened a new convent across the street at 2169 Tyler Lane.
In August 2002, a 46,000 sq. ft. Convocation and Athletic Center opened. The building includes a 1200-seat spectator gym and convocation area, the Hall of Honors, a weight room, a training room, a media center, a campus store, and a chapel as well as 12 classrooms. A bronze statue of Catherine McAuley with a student, created by Sondra Johnson, greets those who enter the foyer. The original building was renovated to include three additional science demonstration labs, a foreign language lab, and an expanded school office.
In May 2005, the original gymnasium was renovated into a Performing and Fine Arts Center. It features a 295-seat theater with a thrust stage and art gallery space.
In July 2005, a field hockey/soccer/lacrosse field and an eight-lane track were opened as part of The Assumption Green — Sports and Education Complex. A softball field opened for the spring 2006 season, and lights were installed in the fall of 2008.
In August 2012, the building at The Assumption Green opened housing restrooms, locker rooms, a concession stand, and a classroom that is an environmental laboratory and provides an enhanced science education. This building is a learning center for Assumption students, their families and friends, and the wider Louisville community.
- Mission education
- Compassion and service
- Educational excellence
- Concern for women and women's issues
- World vision and responsibility
- Spiritual growth and development